Transport phenomena of multiphase systems and fluidization, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) applications to coal gasification and CO2 separation processes, Wind energy, production of gas from unconventional gas reserves and hydrates, energy storage, tire recycling, and energy/ water and sustainability related issues.
2004 - Fellow of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
2003 - AIChE Fluidized Processes Recognition Award, sponsored by DOW Chemical, awarded in recognition of significant contribution to the science and technology of fluidization or fluidized processes, and who has shown leadership in the engineering community.
2001 - AIChE Donald Q. Kern Award. Awarded in recognition of expertise in heat transfer and energy conversion and the contributions leading to advances in engineering.
1997 - Ernest W. Thiele Award of the AIChE local section, sponsored by Amoco Corporation; awarded in recognition of original and significant contributions to the practice of the chemical engineering profession in the Midwest
1999 - AIChE Lectureship Award in Fluidization and Fluid Particle Systems, sponsored by Fluor Daniel Foundation. Awarded in recognition of the significant contribution and pioneering work in numerical simulation of fluid-particle and fluidized bed systems.
1992 - University Excellence in Teaching Award, sponsored by Amoco Corporation
"Apparatus for Generating Odor Upon Electronic Signal Demand," Firooz Rasouli, Hamid Arastoopour and Ali Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,548,025 (2003).
"Apparatus and Process for Pulverization of a Polymeric Material," G.K. Ivanov, H. Arastoopour, E. Bilgili, N. Shahidi and B. Bernstein, U.S. Patent #6,513,737 (2003).
"Synthesis of A Carbon-Based Catalyst From Sludge" N. Khalili , H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent # 6,362,127 B1 (2002).
"Synthesizing Carbon from Sludge," N. Khalili, H. Arastoopour, and L. Walhof , U.S. Patent #6,030,922 (2000).
"Process for Recycling of Rubber Materials," H. Arastoopour, D. Schocke, B. Bernstein, and E. Bilgili, U.S. Patent #5,904,885 (1999).
"Apparatus for Generating Odor upon Electronic Signal Demand," F. Rasouli, H. Arastoopour, and A. Oskouie, U.S. Patent #6,004,516 (1999).
"Single-screw Extruder for Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization and Method," H. Arastoopour, U.S. Patent #5,704,555 (1998).
"Method for Producing Biodegradable Products," F. Shutov, H. Arastoopour, and G. Ivanov , U.S. Patent #5,688,448 (1997).
"Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermoplastic Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,397,065 (1995).
"Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Thermosetting Materials)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,395,055 (1995).
"Solid State Shear Extrusion Pulverization (Elastomers)," F. Shutov, G. Ivanov, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #5,415,354 (1995).
"Sorbent Composition and Process for Regenerative Sorption of NO X," D. Gidaspow, H. Hariri, and H. Arastoopour , U.S. Patent #4,151,124 (1979).
- “Numerical analysis and implementation of finite domain trial functions method of moments (FCMOM) in CFD codes” E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 102 pp. 432-441 (2013).
- “Analysis of the Performance of Wind Turbine Airfoil under Heavy Rain Condition Using Multiphase CFD Approach”, M. Cai, E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52(9), pp. 3266-3275 (2013).
- “Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Application in Fluid/Particle Flow Systems” H. Arastoopour, Powder Metallurgy and Mining Journal, Editorial Paper. Vol. 2, issue.1 (2013).
- “Utilization of municipal wastewater for cooling in thermoelectric power plants: Evaluation of the combined cost of makeup water treatment and increased condenser fouling”, M.E.Walker, R.B. Theregowda, I. Safari, J. Abbasian, H. Arastoopour, D.A. Dzombak, M.K. Hsieh, and D.C. Miller, Energy 60 , pp. 139-147 (2013).
- “CFD Simulation of Different- Scaled Bubbling Fluidized Bed”, J. Jang and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIV, Edited by: J. A. M. Kuipers, R. F. Mudde, J. R. Van Ommen, and N. G. Deen, Engineering Conference International, pages 691-698, (2013).
- “Economic impact of condenser fouling in existing thermoelectric power plants” M.E. Walker, I. Safari, R.B. Theregowda, M.K. Hsieh, J. Abbasian, H. Arastoopour, D. Dzombak and D.C. Miller Energy, 44, 429-437 (2012).
- “CFD Simulation of CO2 Sorption in a Circulating Fluidized Bed using Deactivated Kinetic Model” E. Abbasi and H. Arastoopour CFB 10, edited by T.M. Knowlton, Engineering Conference International , ISBN 978-1-4507-7082-5, pages 736- 743, (2011).
- “Studying the pulverization mechanism of rubber with a modified design of the solid-state shear extrusion process” Trapti Chaubey and Hamid Arastoopour , Journal of applied polymer science, 119, 1075-1083 (2010).
- “Solution of Population Balance Equations by Finite Size Domain Complete Set of Trial Functions Method of Moments (FCMOM) for Inhomogeneous Systems,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49(11), 5222-5230 (2010).
- “Numerical and Experimental Steady State Flow and Heat Transfer in a Continuous Spouted Bed,” C.A. Rosa, J.T. Freire, and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIII, edited by S.D. Kim, Y. Kang, J.K. Lee and Y.C. Seo, 669 -676, ECI, New York (2010).
- “CFD Simulation of Pharmaceutical Particle Drying in a Bubbling Fluidized Bed Reactor,” J. Yang, C. Rosa, and H. Arastoopour, Fluidization XIII, edited by S.D. Kim, Y. Kang, J.K. Lee, and Y.C. Seo, 853-860, ECI, New York (2010).
- “Solution of Bivariate Population Balance Equations Using the FCMOM,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 48(1), 262-273 (2009).
- “Studying the Pulverization Mechanisms of Low-Cross-Link-Density Natural Rubber with and without Carbon Black,” M. Eskandari and H. Arastoopour, Powder Technology Journal 189, 454-461 (2009).
- “Simulation of Methane Production from Hydrates by depressurization and thermal stimulation” ,” Y. Liu, M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol 48, no 5, 2451-2464 (2008).
- “Solution of PBE by Non-infinite Size Domain,” M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Chemical Engineering Science , 63, 2624-2640 (2008).
- “Numerical Simulation of Methane Production from a Methane Hydrate Formation,” Y. Liu, M. Strumendo and H. Arastoopour, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 47, no 8, 2817 - 2828 (2008).
- “Numerical Simulation of Poly-dispersed Systems,” M. Strumendo, H. Arastoopour and A. Ahmadzadeh, Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology IX , ISBN978-3-930400-57-7, edited by J. Werther, W. Nowak, K.E. Wirth and E.U. Hartge Tu Tech Innovation Gmbh, Germany p 313-318 (2008).
- “On the Consequences of Limiting Chain Extensibility of Vulcanized Rubbers: Stiffening, Self Homogenization, and Coupling of Strain Components,” E. Bilgili, B. Bernstein and Hamid Arastoopour, Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, 40, 77-93 (2008).
- “Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation of a Horizontal Rotating Fluidized Bed,” A. Ahmadzadeh and H. Arastoopour, Powder Technology Journal, 183, 410-416 (2008).
- “Population Balance Equation, Application in Rotating Fluidized Bed Polymerization Reactor,” A. Ahmadzadeh, H. Arastoopour, F. Teymour and M. Strumendo, Chemical Engineering Research and Design , 86, 329-343 (2008).