Fluid mechanics and turbulence and flow management and control.
Areas of hydrodynamic stability, transition, applied turbulence, mixing of both laminar and turbulent streams, mixing of two-phase flows, unsteady flows, separated flows and their control, wind-tunnel flow quality, wind engineering and atmospheric diffusion, aeroacoustics, and convective heat transfer augmentation.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Fellow
- American Physical Society, Fellow
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow
- Excellence in Teaching Award, IIT, 1973-1974
- Robert T. Knapp Award, 1977; given for an outstanding original paper by the Fluids Engineering Div. of ASME.
- The Large Wind Tunnels Working Group of AGARD (Advisory Group of Aerospace Research & Development of NATO) which includes members from Europe and U.S. selected a report entitled Experiments on the Management of Free-Stream Turbulence by R.I. Loehrke and H.M. Nagib, which was then published and distributed as an AGARD report in support of their activities.
- 1982 NASA Langley Achievement Award for Outstanding research contributions in the area of turbulence control and viscous drag reduction.
- IIT Alumni Association Professional Achievement Award, 1994