Power electronics and power semiconductor device technologies for energy conversion and energy efficiency applications.
Dr. Shen joined the IIT faculty as Grainger Endowed Chair Professor in January of 2013. He had held various positions including Senior Principal Staff Engineer with Motorola Inc. between 1994 and 1999. He was on the faculty of the University of Michigan-Dearborn between 1999 and 2004, and the University of Central Florida between 2004 and 2012. His research interests include power electronics and power semiconductor device core technologies with emphasis on energy conversion and energy efficiency applications including smart grids and electricity infrastructures, renewable energy grid integration, high speed railway transportation, plug-in electric vehicles and charging stations, energy efficient data/telecom centers, zero-energy buildings, telecom and computer power supply, and high efficiency industrial drives. He has authored and co-authored over 140 journal and conference publications and holds 13 issued US patents. He is an IEEE Fellow and has served IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) in various capacities including Vice President of Products (2009-2012), Member at Large (2001-2007, and 2013-2016), Technical Program Chair of ECCE2010. Technical Program Chair of PESC2007, Technical Program Chair of VPPC2005, General Chair of WPET2004, Finance Chair of Energy2030, Chair of Technical Committee on Transportation Power Electronics, and Chair of Technical Committee on Power Semiconductor Devices.
2012 IEEE Region 3 Outstanding Engineer Award
2012 E. T. Walton Fellowship from Science Foundation of Ireland IEEE Fellow (Class of 2011)
2008 Researcher of the Year Award, College of Engineering and Computer Science, UCF
2008 Joseph J. Suozzi INTELEC Fellowship Award in Power Electronics from IEEE Power Electronics Society (as student recipient’s faculty advisor)
2006 Prize Paper Award of IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics
2003 Automotive Electronics Best Paper Award of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
2003 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
1996 Motorola Scientific and Technical Award
“A Review of Power Decoupling Techniques for Microinverters with Three Different Decoupling Capacitor Locations in PV Systems,” Hu, H.; Harb, S.; Kutkut, N.H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2711-2726, June 2013.
“Distributed Battery Micro-Storage Systems Design and Operation in a Deregulated Electricity Market,” Hussein, A.A; Kutkut, N.H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 545-556, September 2012.
“Operation Mode Analysis and Peak Gain Approximation of the LLC Resonant Converter,” Fang, X.; Hu, H.; Shen, Z. J.; Batarseh, I., IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1985-1995, April 2012.
“Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Single Event Effects in SOI Lateral Power MOSFETs,” P. Shea and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, Vol. 57, No.6, December 2011.
“Evaluation of Lateral Power MOSFETs in a Synchronous Buck Converter Using a Mixed-Mode Device and Circuit Simulation,” B. Yang, J. S. Yuan, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 12, pp. 4004-4010, November 2011.
“Railway Static Power Conditioners for High-speed Train Traction Power Supply System Using Three-phase V/V Transformers,” A. Luo, C. Wu, Z. J. Shen, Z. Shuai, and F. Ma, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 2844-2856, Oct 2011.
“Integration of a Monolithic Buck Converter Power IC and Bondwire Inductors with Ferrite Epoxy Glob Cores,” Hongwei Jia, Jian Lu, Xuexin Wang, Karthik Padmanabhan, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 1627-1630, June 2011.
“New Physical Insights on Power MOSFET Switching Losses,” Y. Xiong, S. Sun, H. Jia, P. Shea, and Z. J. Shen, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 525-531 Feb 2009.
“Design Considerations for Maintaining DC-Side Voltage of Hybrid Active Power Filter with Injection Circuit,” A. Luo, Z. Shuai, Z. J. Shen, W. Zhu, and X. Xu, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2009.
“Lateral Power MOSFET for Megahertz-Frequency, High-density DC/DC Converters,” Z. J. Shen, D. Okada, F. Lin, S. Anderson, and X. Cheng, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 21, Issue 1, pp. 11-17, Jan, 2006.
“Reducing Voltage Rating and Cost of Vehicle Power Systems with a New Transient Voltage Suppression Technology,” Z. J. Shen, F. Robb, S. P. Robb and D. Briggs, IEEE Trans. Vehicular Tech., Nov. 2003.
- Z. Shen, "High-temperature, wirebondless, injection-molded, ultra-compact hybrid power module," U.S. Patent 8,120,153, issued on Feb 21, 2012.
- Z. Shen, "On-Chip Magnetic Components," U.S. Patent 7,719,112 B2, issued on May 18, 2010.
- Z. Shen and David Okada, "Monolithic Power Semiconductor Structures Including Pairs of Integrated Devices," U.S. Patent 7,612,418 B2, issued on Nov. 3, 2009.
- V. Garg, J. Fodera, and Z. Shen, "A Method for Operating a Vehicle," US Patent 7,558,655, issued on July 7, 2009.
- Z. Shen, "Power MOSFET," U.S. Patent 6,972,464, issued on Dec. 6, 2005.
- Z. Shen, S. P. Robb, and C.S. Mitter, "Semiconductor Device and Method of Making," US Patent 6,507,070, issued on Jan. 14, 2003.
- Z. Shen, F. Y. Robb, and S. P. Robb, "Semiconductor Device and Method of Manufacture," US Patent 6,204,097, issued on Mar. 20, 2001.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, "Semiconductor Load Driver Circuit and Method Therefor", US Patent 6,166,893, issued on Dec. 26, 2000.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, "Method of Driving a Load and Semiconductor Load Driver Therefor", US Patent 6,160,691, issued on Dec. 12, 2000.
- S. P. Robb, Z. Shen and K. Gauen, “Power Semiconductor Device and Method for Increasing Turn-On Time of the Power Semiconductor Device ", US Patent 5,945,868, issued on Aug. 31, 1999.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, “Monolithic Clamping Circuit and Method of Preventing Transistor Avalanche Breakdown ", US Patent 5,789,951, issued on Apr. 4, 1998.
- Z. Shen and S. P. Robb, “Semiconductor Device Having High Voltage Protection Capability ", US Patent 5,536,958, issued on Jul. 16, 1996.