Assistant Professor of Transportation Engineering
3201 South Dearborn Street, AM 204
Post-doctoral Research Associate, NEXTRANS, Purdue University, 2012
Ph.D., Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008
M.S., Operations Research and Statistics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2007
M.S., Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2003
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, 1998
Transportation Systems Analysis, Operations Research and Statistics, Network Modeling and Algorithm Design, Data Analysis and Data Fusion.
- Transportation system analysis and network modeling
- Connected and autonomous vehicle systems
- Real-time traffic sensing
- Data fusion applications in traffic analysis
- Interdepend infrastructure networks
- Sustainable multimodal transportation system design
Description of Research
- Information propagation in vehicle-to-vehicle communication networks
- Energy consumption issues in multimodal transportation networks
- Advance sensor location in dilemma zone protection systems
- Transportation network retrofit incorporating the uncertainty of disasters
- Stochastic online routing
- Real-time link traffic prediction
Current Research Projects
- First Nayar Price at IIT in amount of $100,000. 10/01/2015-09/30/2016. “Driverless City Project”. The team of Marshall Brown (architecture), Lili Du (transportation engineering), Laura Forlano (design), Jack Guthman (architecture), and Ron Henderson (landscape architecture).
- NSF award 1436786 in the amount of $240,000. 08/01/2014 - 07/31/2017. “Collaborative Research: Coordinated Real-Time Traffic Management Based on Dynamic Information Propagation and Aggregation under Connected Vehicle Systems”. Lili Du (PI) and Xiang-Yang Li (Co-PI).
- Project funded by Illinois Department of Transportation in the amount of $300,000.00. 08/16/2015 – 02/16/2018. “Refinement of Load Factors for Illinois-Specific Load and Resistance Factored Rating (LRFR) Bridge Load Rating Using Weigh-In-Motion (WIM) Data”. Lili Du (Co-PI) and Gongkang Fu (PI).
- Project funded by U.S. DOT Region 5 University Transportation Center in amount of $100,000. 05/01/2012 - 01/31/2014. “Signal Timing Optimization for Large-Scale Urban Networks under Dynamic Traffic”. Lili Du (Co-PI) and Zongzhi Li (PI).
Professional Society Memberships
- Editorial Board Member of Transportation Research Board Transportation Network Modeling Committee (ADB30).
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Business Analytics.
- Member of Transportation Research Board Transportation Network Modeling Committee (ADB30)
- Member of Transportation Research Board Technology Transfer Committee (ABG30).
- Member of WTS, Advancing Women in Transportation.
- Lili Du, Siyuan Gong (2015). Stochastic Poisson Game for an Online Decentralized and Coordinated Parking Mechanism. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. (Under Review)
- Siyuan Gong, Lili Du (2015). Optimal Location of Advance Warning for Mandatory Lane Change near a Two-Lane Highway Off-ramp. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. (Under Revision)
- Lili Du, Srinivas Peeta, Peng Wei, and Dengfeng Sun (2015). A quantitative and systematic methodology to investigate energy consumption issues in multimodal intercity transportation systems. International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology. Accepted.
- Lili Du, Lanshan Han, and Shuwei Chen (2015).Coordinated Online In-Vehicle Routing Balancing User Optimality and System Optimality through Information Perturbation. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 79, 121-133.
- Lili Du, Lanshan Han, and Shuwei Chen (2015). Coordinated Online In-Vehicle Navigation Guidance Based on Routing Game Theory. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Accepted.
- Lili Du and Hoang Dao (2014). Information Propagation Delay in a Connected Vehicle Network on a Road Segment. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16(1), 66-80.
- Lili Du, Lanshan Han, and Xiangyang Li (2014). Distributed Coordinated In-Vehicle Online Routing under Mixed Strategy Congestion Game. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 67, 1-17.
- Lili Du and Srinivas Peeta (2013). A Stochastic Optimization Model to Reduce Expected Post-Disaster Response Time Through Pre-Disaster Investment Decisions. Networks and Spatial Economics 14 (2), 271-295.
- Lili Du, Srinivas Peeta and Yong Hoon Kim (2013). Online Stochastic Routing Incorporating Real-Time Traffic Information. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2334, 95-104.
- Yin Hang, Lili Du, Qu Min, and Srinivas Peeta (2013). Designing Solar Cooling Systems Using Optimization and Central Composite Design Techniques. Renewable Energy 52(4), 67-78.
- Lili Du, Anuj Sharma, and Srinivas Peeta (2012). Optimal Advance Detector Location for Green Termination Systems on High Speed Isolated Intersections. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 46(10), 1404-1418.
- Lili Du, Srinivas Peeta, and Yong Hoon Kim (2012). Adaptive Information Fusion Models to Estimate the Short-Term Travel Time Distribution. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 46(1), 235-252.
- Lanshan Han and Lili Du (2012). On a Link-Based Day-to-Day Traffic Assignment Model. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 46(1), 72-84.
- Lili Du and Satish Ukkusuri (2010). The Relative Mobility of Vehicles Improves the Performance of Information Flow in Vehicle Ad Hoc Networks. Networks and Spatial Economics 10, 209-240.
- Lili Du, Satish Ukkusuri, Wilfredo F. Yushimito Del Valle, and Shivkumar Kalyanaraman (2009). Optimization Models to Characterize the Broadcast Capacity of Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 17(6), 571-585.
- Satish Ukkusuri and Lili Du (2008). Geometric Connectivity of Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks: Analytical Characterization. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 16(5), 615-634.
- Zhenggang Dan, Linning Cai, Lili Du, and Li Zheng (2006). Load Balancing of the Vehicle Routing Problem. Journal of Tsinghua University (Science and Technology) 46(11), 1945-1948.
- Sunderesh Heragu, Lili Du, Ronald Mantel, and Peter Schuur (2005). A Mathematical Model for Warehouse Design and Product Allocation. International Journal of Production Research 43(2), 327-338.