Large energy infrastructure design and operation, integrated resource planning, microgrids and energy hubs, cyber-physical systems, and large-scale sustainable energy integration.
Dr. Mohammad Shahidehpour is the Bodine Chair Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department and Director of Robert W. Galvin Center for Electricity Innovation at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) (http://www.galvincenter.org).
Dr. Shadhidepour has worked with government agencies and electric power companies for the last 35 years on energy system optimization and control issues with specific interests in the modeling of large energy infrastructures, integrated resource planning, microgrids and energy hubs, cyber-physical systems, and large-scale sustainable energy integration. He has been awarded over $50 million federal research and development grants on electricity grid modernization issues. His perfect power microgrid project has converted the IIT campus to a smart microgrid with islanding capability. Dr. Shahidepour is working with the Chicago’s electric utility company (ComEd) and Argonne National Laboratory on the design of the next generation of a community microgrid controller which will connect the IIT Microgrid to a utility-owned microgrid for enhancing the reliability, efficiency, resilience, and the economics of distributed electric power systems.
He has worked with and supervised 120 visiting faculty and scholars, and graduate research students at IIT. Dr. Shahidepour is the co-author of over 400 technical papers and six books on electric power system planning, operation, and control (http://scholar.google.com). He is also the recipient of three best paper awards for his publications in IEEE Transaction on Power Systems. In 2012, he received the IEEE/PES Outstanding Faculty Award. In 2011, he received the Association of Electrical Engineering Department Heads’ Innovation Award, the IEEE PES/Chicago Chapter’s Engineer of the Year Award, and the Illinois Technology Association’s Technologist of the Year Award. For his contributions to power system research and development, he was also awarded the IEEE T. Burke Hayes Faculty Recognition Award and the Sigma Xi Outstanding Senior Faculty Research Award. Dr. Shahidepour received the Edison Electric Institute's Power Engineering Educator Award and the C. Holmes MacDonald Outstanding Young Electrical Engineering Professor Award for his contributions to research and education.
He is also the 2009 recipient of the honorary doctorate from the Polytechnic University of Bucharest and is currently a Research Professor at King Abdulaziz University (Jeddah), North China Electric Power University (Beijing), and the Sharif University of Technology (Tehran). Dr. Shahidehpour was a member of the United Nations Commission on Microgrid Studies.
Dr. Shadhidepour is a Fellow of IEEE for his contributions to optimal generation unit commitment algorithms in power systems.
- M. Shahidehpour, H. Yamin and Z. Li, Market Operations in Electric Power Systems, John Wiley and Sons, Second Edition, 2015
- M. Shahidehpour, Z. Li and Y. Fu, Energy System Control and Operation, John Wiley and Sons, 2015
- M. Shahidehpour and L. Wu, Stochastic Methods in Electric Power Systems, John Wiley and Sons, 2015
- S. Kamalinia, L. Wu, and M. Shahidehpour, “Stochastic Midterm Coordination of Hydro and Natural Gas Flexibilities for Wind Energy Integration,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1070-1079, Oct. 2014
- O. Tor and M. Shahidehpour, “Crossroad of Power: Coordinating Electricity and Natural Gas Infrastructures in Turkey,” Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 49-62, IEEE Power and Energy, Oct. 2014
- Y. Jiang, J. Liu, W. Tian, M. Shahidehpour, M. Krishnamurthy “Energy Harvesting from Regenerative Braking of Trains for the Electrification of Railway Stations,” IEEE Electrification, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 39-48, Sept. 2014
- L. Che and M. Shahidehpour, “DC Microgrids: Economic Operation and Enhancement of Resilience by Hierarchical Control,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 2517-2526, Sept. 2014
- H. Wu and M. Shahidehpour, ”Chance-Constrained Day-Ahead Scheduling in Stochastic Power System Operations,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1583-1591, July 2014
- M. Parvania, M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, M. Shahidehpour, “Comparative Hourly Scheduling of Centralized and Distributed Storage in Day-Ahead Markets,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 729-737, July 2014
- H. Wu and M. Shahidehpour, ” Stochastic SCUC with Variable Wind Penetration Using Constrained Ordinal Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 379-388, April 2014
- W. Tian, Z. Li, and M. Shahidehpour, “Renewable Energy Procurement in Illinois,” Electricity Journal, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 43-51, Mar. 2014
- M. Khodayar and M. Shahidehpour, ”Optimal Strategies for Multiple Participants in Electricity Markets, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 986-987, Mar. 2014
- L. Che, M. Khodayar, and M. Shahidehpour, “Adaptive Protection System for Microgrids: Protection Practices of a Functional Microgrid System,” IEEE Electrification Magazine, Vol. 2, No.1, pp. 66-80, Mar. 2014
- F. Aminifar, M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, M. Shahidehpour, and S. Kamalinia, “Power System Dynamic State Estimation with Synchronized Phasor Measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 2, pp. 352-363, Feb. 2014