Ph.D., Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, 1998
M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Southern California, 1988
M.S., Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Tianjin University, P.R. China, 1986
B.S., Mechanical Engineering major in Metallurgical and Materials, Tianjin University, P.R. China, 1983
- Mechanical test equipment (MTS, Instron, surface finishing, hardness tester) and developing test methods.
- Fatigue fracture testing and failure analysis.
- Microstructural characterization using optical, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, energy dispersive spectroscopy, x-ray diffraction.
- Electrochemical studies using Potentiostat/Galvanostats, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS).
- Finite element modeling using ABAQUS for analysis of steel and composite materials.
- Diffusion modeling.
- Fatigue life prediction for the turbo wheel, impeller, crankcase, crankshaft, wheels, oil tank and truck underframe and cylinder head etc. to improve/assist the design process.
- Failure analysis of locomotive components such as wheels, axles, crankcases, piston pins, pinions, piston pin carrier, flywheel, bolts, oil tank, crankshafts, radiators, pressure sensors, Indian carbody assembly rod, gears, exhaust system, spring fingers, valve guides, exhaust valve spring, valve bridge, turbo components, dynamic fan blade, cylinder head, coil spring and inverter etc.
- Fatigue testing of H-engine crankcase and JT42 parking brake chain by using strain/stress based fatigue methods.
- Nominated for 2017 Living Our Values Award for teamwork effort on solving F125 Metrolink DEF pump failures
- Chairman's Special Award, ASM Chicago Regional Chapter, 2012
- Chairman's recognition Award, ASM Chicago Regional Chapter, 2010
- Chairman's recognition Award, ASM Chicago Regional Chapter, 2003
- People Recognition for Outstanding Effort, EMD, 1999
- University of Southern California Sea Grant Trainee Fellowship, 1988-1992 academic years
- The Sea Grant Association Award, Excellence in Research of Coastal Processes & Engineering, Feb. 28, 1989
- Winter school scholarship on high-resolution electron microscopy, Jan. 9-13, 1989
- Special Award for outstanding international student, Office of International Students and Scholars, University of Southern California, June 1988
Professional Society Memberships
- Member of American Society for Metals (ASM)
- Member of TMS
- Member of FAS
- Fangfang Sun, Guiru Liu Nash, Qunying Li, Enzuo Liu, Chunnain He, Chunsheng Shi, and Naiqin Zhao, "The effect of Sc and Zr addition on microstructures and corrosion behavior of Al-Cu-Mg-Sc-Zr alloys," J. Mat. Sci. & Tech., 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 9.
- Xiaoyan Xu, Guiru Liu Nash, and Philip Nash, "Sintering mechanisms of blended Ti6Al4V powder from diffusion path analysis," J. Mat. Sci., 2014, Vol. 49, Issue 3, pp. 994-1008.
- Yingjie Yan, Guiru Liu Nash, and Philip Nash, "Effect of density and pore morphology on fatigue properties of sintered Ti-6Al-4V", Int. Journal of Fatigue, June 5 2013.