Brain and Muscle Biomechanics, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Transport Phenomena in Fluids
Prof. Georgiadis’ research interests are driven by open questions related to how the human brain and muscle change with age, and involve the use of non-invasive techniques like Magnetic Resonance Imaging to probe the human central nervous system and skeletal muscle. His current research activities involve three projects:
- Intramyocellular Biotransport and Muscle Quality in Aging and Obesity
- Computational Imaging of the Aging Cerebral Microvasculature
- Multiscale Mechanical Models for the Aging Brain
Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation, 1991-1997.
Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering.
- “Method for providing k-space data correction in multi-shot magnetic resonance elastography (MRE),” Sutton B, Georgiadis J.G, Johnson, C. L.
- “3D Multislab, Multishot Magnetic Resonance Elastography Pulse Sequence,” Johnson, C. L., J.L. Holtrop, B. P. Sutton, and J. G. Georgiadis.
- “Valved Suction Device for Neurosurgery,” Olivero, W. C., Wang, J., Georgiadis J. G.
Professional Society Memberships
- Park, J-U., M. Hardy, S-J Kang, K. Barton, K. Adair, D. Kishore, C-Y Lee, M. S. Strano, A. G. Alleyne, J. G. Georgiadis, P. M. Ferreira, and J. A. Rogers, “High Resolution Electrohydrodynamic Jet Printing with Application Examples in Printed Electronics,” Nature Materials 6(10): 782-789, 2007.
- Shannon, M. A, P. Bohn, M. Elimelech, J. G. Georgiadis, B. Marinas, and A. Mayes, “Science and Technology for Water Purification in the Coming Decades,” Nature 452(7185): 301-310, 2008.
- Falkenberg, C. V. and J. G. Georgiadis, “Water Redistribution and Solute Active Transport through Model Epidermis: Contribution of Electrodiffusion,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 51: 5623-5632, 2008.
- Karampinos, D. C., A. T. Van, W. C. Olivero, J. G. Georgiadis, and B. P. Sutton, “High-Resolution Diffusion Tensor Imaging of the Human Pons with a Reduced-FOV Multi-Shot Variable Density Spiral Acquisition at 3 T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 62(4): 1007-16, 2009.
- Karampinos, D. C., K. F. King, B. P. Sutton, and J. G. Georgiadis, “Myofiber Ellipticity as an Explanation for Transverse Asymmetry of Skeletal Muscle Diffusion MRI in vivo Signal,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering 37(12): 2532-46, 2009.
- Karampinos, D. C., K. F. King, B. P. Sutton, and J. G. Georgiadis, “Intravoxel Partially Coherent Motion (IVPCM) Technique: Characterization of the Anisotropy of Skeletal Muscle Microvasculature,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 31(4): 942-953, 2010.
- Hernando, D., D. C. Karampinos, K. F. King, J. P. Haldar, S. Majumdar, J. G. Georgiadis, and Z.-P. Liang, "Removal of Olefinic Fat Chemical Shift Artifact in Diffusion MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 65(3): 692-701, 2011.
- Mojtahedi, M.C., M.P. Thorpe, D.C. Karampinos, C.L. Johnson, D.K. Layman, J. G. Georgiadis, and E. M. Evans, "The Effects of a Higher Protein Intake During Energy Restriction on Changes in Body Composition and Physical Function in Older Women," The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 66(11): 1218-1225, 2011.
- McGarry, M. D. J., E. E. W. Van Houten, C. L. Johnson, J. G. Georgiadis, B. P. Sutton, J. B. Weaver, and K. D. Paulsen, “Multi-resolution MR Elastography Using Non-linear Inversion,” Medical Physics, 39(10): 6388-96, 2012.
- Johnson, C. L., M. D. J. McGarry, E. E. W. Van Houten, J. B. Weaver, K. D. Paulsen, B. P. Sutton, and J. G. Georgiadis, "Magnetic Resonance Elastography of the Brain using Multishot Spiral Readouts with Self-Navigated Motion Correction," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 70:404-412, 2013.
- Corbin, E. A., L. J. Millet, J. H. Pikul, C. L. Johnson, J. G. Georgiadis, W. P. King, and R. Bashir, “Micromechanical properties of hydrogels using MEMS resonant sensors,” Biomedical Microdevices, 15: 311-19, 2013.
- Johnson, C.L., M.D.J. McGarry, A.A. Gharibans, J.B. Weaver, K.D. Paulsen, H. Wang, W.C. Olivero, B.P. Sutton, and J.G. Georgiadis, “Local mechanical properties of white matter structures in the human brain, NeuroImage, 79: 145-152, 2013.
- McGarry, M. D. J., C. L. Johnson, B. P. Sutton, J. G. Georgiadis, E. E. W. Van Houten, J. B. Weaver, and K. D. Paulsen, “Including Spatial Information in Nonlinear Inversion MR Elastography Using Soft Prior Regularization,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 32(10): 1901-1909, 2013.
- Johnson, C. L., J.L. Holtrop, M. D. J. McGarry, J. B. Weaver, K. D. Paulsen, J. G. Georgiadis, and B. P. Sutton, "3D Multislab, Multishot Acquisition for Fast, Whole-Brain MR Elastography with High SNR Efficiency," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 71: 477-485, 2014.
- Kleiner, L. and J.G. Georgiadis, “Acidos Grasos Omega-3 en Alzheimer’s y en el Envejecimiento Cerebral” (Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Alzheimer’s Disease and Aging of the Brain), Aceites y Grasas, 24(1): 138-145, 2014.
- McGarry, M. D. J., C. L. Johnson, B. P. Sutton, J. G. Georgiadis, E. E. W. Van Houten, A. Pattison, J. B. Weaver, and K. D. Paulsen, “Suitability of poroelastic and viscoelastic mechanical models for high and low frequency MR elastography,” Medical Physics, 42(2), 947–957. doi:10.1118/1.4905048, 2015.
Anderson, A.T, E.E.W. Van Houten, M.D.J. McGarry, K.D. Paulsen, J.L. Holtrop, B. P. Sutton, J. G. Georgiadis, C. L. Johnson, “Observation of direction-dependent mechanical properties in the human brain with multi-excitation MR elastography,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, in press, 2016.