Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of Quantitative Biomarkers, Novel Data Acquisition-Reconstruction and Post-processing methods, Cardiac and Neurovascular MRI, Biomedical Instrumentations.
Dr. Kawaji’s research interests focus on the engineering development of novel MR-based biomarkers to study tissue disease and deaths, using dedicated tissue models in a carefully controlled experimental setting, and novel BME instrumentation and clinical translation of new techniques for the MRI system in the hospital setting.
- 2016 Team Participant, Innovations Corps (Polsky Center - Chicago Booth); Winter 2016 cohort.
- 2015 Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance - Regional Scholarship Winner (USA region).
- 2014 Magna Cum Laude Best Abstract Award, Proc. ISMRM 2014, Milan, Italy.
- 2014-present Institute of Translational Medicine (ITM) Investigator, Regional Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Chicago Consortium.
- 2013 NIH Young Investigator Stipend Award, Int. Workshop in MR Angiography (SMRA), New York, NY.
- Kawaji, K., Manning, WJ., and Nezafat, R. MRI methods and apparatus for flexible visualization of any subset of an enlarged temporal window. US Patent 9,702,956. Filed 05/09/2014. Issued 07/11/2017.
Professional Society Memberships
SELECT PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
1. Kawaji, K.; Patel, MB; Cantrell, CG; Tanaka, A; Marino, M; Tamura, S; Wang, H; Wang, Y; Carroll, TJ; Ota, T; and Patel, AR. A fast, non-iterative approach for Accelerated High-Temporal Resolution cine-CMR using Dynamically Interleaved Streak removal in the Power-spectral Encoded domain with Low-pass-filtering (DISPEL) and Modulo-Prime Spokes (MoPS). Med Phys. 2017 Mar 24. DOI: 10.1002/mp.12234
2. Wang, SC., Patel, AR., Tanaka, A., Wang, H., Ota, T., Lang, RM., Carroll TJ., and Kawaji, K. A novel profile/view ordering with a non-convex star shutter for high-resolution 3D volumetric T1 mapping under multiple breath-holds. Magn Res Med 2016. In Press. DOI: 10.1002/mrm.26303
3. Tanaka, A., Kawaji, K., Patel, AR., Tabata, Y., Burke, MC., Gupta, MP., and Ota T. Controlled Release of Growth Factor Enhances In-situ Reconstructive Remodeling of Tissue-Engineered Cardiac Patch. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Vol. 150, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2015.07.073.
4. Thimmappa, ND., Cooper, MA., Nguyen, TD., Dutruel, SP., Kawaji, K., and Weinsaft, JW. Electrocardiographic Pad for Efficient Cardiac MR Gating. Radiology, 2016. Feb;278(2):578-84. DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2015142318.
5. Kawaji, K., Foppa, M., Roujol, S., Akcakaya. M., Manning, WJ., and Nezafat, R. Whole Heart Coronary MRI with an Enlarged Acquisition Window. PLoS ONE 2015. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0112020.
6. Kawaji, K., Spincemaille, P., Nguyen, TD., Thimmappa, ND., Cooper, MA., Prince, MR., and Wang, Y. Direct Coronary Motion Extraction from a 2D Fat Image Navigator for Prospectively Gated Coronary MR Angiography. MRM 2014. 71(2) 599-607. DOI: 10.1002/mrm.24698
7. Kawaji, K., Codella, NC., Prince, MR., Chu, CW., Shakoor, A., LaBounty, TM., Min, JK., Swaminathan, RV., Devereux, RB., Wang, Y., and Weinsaft, JW. Automated Segmentation of Routine Clinical Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Diagnosis of Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, 2009 Nov. 2(6) 476-84. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.109.879304