Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, 1999
Control, dynamics, and mechanical design
Electrostatic gecko-like adhesives for climbing, perching, and manipulation
Navigation integrity for self driving cars and other mobile robots
- MMAE Excellence in Research Award, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering Department, Illinois Institute of Technology (2018)
- MMAE Excellence in Teaching Award, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering Department, Illinois Institute of Technology (2017)
Professional Society Memberships
- M. Spenko, S. Buerger, and K. Iagnemma "The DARPA Robotics Challenge Finals: Humanoid Robots To The Rescue" Springer, 2018 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74666-1
- Mehdi Modabberifar and M. Spenko, "Shape Memory Alloy-Actuated Gecko-Inspired Robotic Gripper" Sensor and Actuators A: Physical. Accepted.
- Vahid Alizadehyazdi, Mehdi Modabberifar, S. M. Javid Mahmoudzadeh Akherat, and Matthew Spenko "Electrostatic Self-Cleaning Gecko-like Adhesives" Royal Society Interface. Accepted.
- Brigitte Temple, Aiva Simaite, and Matthew Spenko "The Effect of Bending Compliance on Adhesion Pressure of Hybrid Electrostatic/Gecko-Like Adhesives" 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA). Accepted.
- Guillermo Duenas Arana, Mathieu Joerger, and Matthew Spenko "Local Nearest Neighbor Integrity Risk Evaluation for Robot Navigation" 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA). Accepted.
- M. Dadkhah-Tehrani, D. Ruffatto, Z. Zhao, and M. Spenko. Performance enhancement of electrostatic/gecko-like adhesives via a novel electrode design. Journal of Electrostatics, 91:48–55, Feb. 2017.
- Matthew Spenko, Steve Buerger, and Karl Iagnemma, "Editorial for Journal of Field Robotics - special issue on the DARPA Robotics Challenge Finals" Journal of Field Robotics, 1, 2017.
- Mathieu Joerger and Matthew Spenko "Towards Navigation Safety for Autonomous Cars" Inside GNSS.
- Mohammad Dadkhah Tehrani, Zhanyue Zhao, Nicholas Wettels, Matthew Spenko, "A Self-Aligning Gripper Using a Novel Electrostatic/Gecko-Like Adhesive" Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, South Korea, 2016.
- M. A. Graule, P. Chirarattananon, S. B. Fuller, N. T. Jafferis, K. Y. Ma, M. Spenko, R. Kornbluh, and R. J. Wood, "Perching and takeoff of a robotic insect on overhangs using switchable electrostatic adhesion" Science 20 May 2016: Vol. 352, Issue 6288, pp. 978-982. DOI: 10.1126/science.aaf1092. Author's manuscript. Supplemental.
- M. Joerger, M. Jamoom, M. Spenko and B. Pervan, "Integrity of laser-based feature extraction and data association," 2016 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS), Savannah, GA, 2016, pp. 557-571. doi: 10.1109/PLANS.2016.7479746