Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)
Each academic unit issues the Advising PIN required for registration in the first semester of student enrollment at Illinois Tech.
Graduate Academic Advising
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADVISING FOR INCOMING AND CONTINUING STUDENTS
Graduate students are required to complete a one time mandatory advising session with the graduate academic or co-terminal advisor. The Graduate Program Advising Hold becomes active:
- At 9 earned and/or enrolled credits for master's students (18 credits for doctoral students).
Note: The hold prevents registration before the following semester until lifted by the advisor or the departmental designee.
- The mandatory advising session with the advisor is required for the student to clear the registration hold.
- The co-terminal student registration hold will be removed when the student submits the declaration of co-terminal shared and non-shared courses in eForms, and after it is approved by the co-terminal (graduate) advisor, academic unit graduate advisor and Graduate Academic Affairs.
- A continuing student without an approved Plan of Study will follow the process below that requires the one time advising after 9 hrs (masters) or 18 hrs (doctoral).
A continuing student with an approved Plan of Study has satisfied the advising requirement and can register.
NOTE: All program requirements are listed in IIT BULLETIN.
Please click on the specific program of interest in the table, and it will lead you to the program requirements. Please use these requirements in planning your course of study.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS OF SPECIFIC STEPS FOR THE STUDENTS ARE OUTLINED BELOW
First Semester in Graduate Program:
- Consult your academic advisor for first semester classes to be taken and to request PIN prior to classes. This can be done via email or by requesting an in-person meeting.
- In case advisor cannot be reached, please contact Jessica Nicholson for further guidance and help in contacting the advisor.
- Academic Advising is needed in order to remove Registration Hold for all students, including co-terminal and European partner students.
- At or before 9 hrs earned credit for MS, 18 hrs for PhD,
- Schedule an advising session with your advisor with a Plan of Study that includes all courses to be taken to meet degree requirements as designated in DegreeWorks worksheet page. This worksheet page must be printed out or saved as a pdf and all planned course work checked or indicated. Bring this filled in DegreeWorks worksheet page with you for your meeting with the advisor.
- After the advising session, the worksheet page must be signed by both student and advisor. This signed document serves as the Plan of Study and left with the advisor who will then remove the advising hold and enter any notes as needed in DegreeWorks.
- When a student wishes to enroll in courses that do not explicitly apply to the program requirements, as shown in Graduate Degree Works, an approved substitution is required.
- The substitution request can only be submitted by the student (and approved by the advisor and academic unit) using the eForms tab accessed from Graduate Degree Works.
- Once final approval of the substitution is conveyed by Graduate Academic Affairs, the exception is recorded in Graduate Degree Works, which updates the student’s Graduate Degree Works audit.
SCHEDULING ADVISING SESSION
Please contact advisor by email to schedule appointment.
The student selects the eForms tab in Graduate DegreeWorks to declare all courses to be completed during the co-terminal program, which must be fully approved by the co-terminal advisor (Dr. Kevin Cassel for MEng in MAE and Dr. Sammy Tin for MEng in MSE), academic unit graduate program Chair (Dr. Sudhakar Nair) and the IIT's Office of Graduate Academic Affairs.
Co-terminal students must declare the shared courses between their undergraduate and graduate degrees via eForm; they may request changes to the co-terminal shared courses by filing an eForm Course Substitution and Exception and by articulating the original approved course and the desired course replacement. Approval of a requested substitution is at the discretion of the co-terminal advisor and academic unit graduate program Chair, with final approval by Graduate Academic Affairs.
For additional details please see the Co-terminal Advising page of IIT Bulletin.
ADVISING FOR EUROPEAN STUDENTS
The current academic advisor for all European Master's students is Dr. Kevin Cassel.
A student who is admitted to a dual degree program with Illinois Tech and an European partner institution may have a requirement (or option) to complete a research project to satisfy the home institution's degree requirements. This research may not be directly applicable to the Illinois Tech master's project or thesis research requirements.
The student must declare when the International Partner Research Project (INIP) is required, or desired, during the first semester of enrollment at Illinois Tech. Declaration of the INIP is completed from Graduate Degree Works by selecting the eForms tab, then selecting the Change Program option. The INIP program option request must be approved by the Illinois Tech academic advisor and academic unit graduate program Chair, with final approval by the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs.
If INIP is required, the student must enroll in 4-6 credit hours of MMAE 597 or other equivalent courses (must require approval through internal transfer eForm). The student should submit the eForm for transfer of 9 hours of courses from home institution that will count for graduate credit at IIT. It must be completed in the first semester of their enrollment at IIT.
The student is required to reserve at least one required credit hour of registration at IIT for use during the summer session, when INIP research is being conducted during that term. The student must also file for summer graduation (not spring) when INIP research will be conducted during the summer term. If the student fails to declare the INIP, and/or the Illinois Tech degree requirements are satisfied in the spring semester, the student will lose the opportunity to complete an INIP when the Illinois Tech degree is conferred.
For additional details please see the International Partner Research Project page of IIT Bulletin.
INTERDISCIPLINARY PROGRAM ADVISING
- Students who are admitted to an engineering program with an interdisciplinary focus will receive advising from the admitting academic unit, which assigns the academic advisor.
- A concentration code for the interdisciplinary track is attached to the student record by the graduate admission process.
- The interdisciplinary program requirements are displayed in the Graduate DegreeWorks worksheet based on the assigned concentration track code on the student record in Banner.
- Students do not file an eForm to declare the interdisciplinary concentration track.
- The degree title only will appear on the diploma when the degree is earned.
- Both the degree title and concentration track will appear on the official transcript.
For additional details please see the Interdisciplinary Program Advising page of IIT Bulletin.
- Co-Terminal Program Advising
- Interdisciplinary Program Advising
- International Partner Research Project (INIP)
- Program Requirements/Student Progress— Graduate DegreeWorks
- eForms Use
- Updating Program Options
- New Admission Required
- International Advising
- Financial Aid Advising
- English language deficiencies, assessment, courses and waivers
- Academic Affairs (Graduate): https://web.iit.edu/gaa
- Academic Resources: https://web.iit.edu/arc
- Admission (Graduate): https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/choose
- Career Services: https://web.iit.edu/career-services
- Digital Learning (Distance/Online Learning): https://online.iit.edu/
- Disability Resources: https://web.iit.edu/cdr
- English Language Services: https://appliedtech.iit.edu/english-language-services<
- Financial Aid: https://web.iit.edu/financial-aid
- Graduate Admissions: https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/choose
- Health and Wellness: https://web.iit.edu/shwc
- Idea Shop and IPros: https://web.iit.edu/academic-affairs/idea-shop-and-ipro
- International Center: https://web.iit.edu/international-center
- Registrar: https://web.iit.edu/registrar/registration
- Student Accounting: https://web.iit.edu/student-accounting/